Friday, May 28, 2010

On This Day in History

    On this day 40 years ago, in a small town in Kentucky, I was born. No matter how many times I do the math, I can't believe I'm 40. I don't feel 40.

    Curious about what else might have happened on all the May 29th dates in history, I did a little research and here's what I found:

    In 1453, Constantinople fell to the Turks, who renamed it Istanbul.

    In 1660, Charles II was restored to the English throne after 11 years of commonwealth under Oliver Cromwell. It happened to be Charles' 30th birthday. (Interesting, since I just started watching the first season of The Tudors.)

    In 1765, U.S. patriot Patrick Henry presented the Virginia Resolutions and said, "If this be treason, make the most of it." It was his 29th birthday.

    In 1790, Rhode Island became the last of the original 13 colonies to ratify the U.S. Constitution.

    In 1848, Wisconsin became the 30th state.

    In 1903, Bob Hope was born.

    In 1917, John F. Kennedy was born.

    In 1953, Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay became the first mountain climbers to reach the summit of Mt. Everest.

    In 1958, Annette Bening was born in Topeka, Kansas.

    In 1959, actor Adrian Paul (of TV's Highlander) was born.

    Okay, everyone, play along. What historic things happened on your date of birth? With whom do you share a birthday?

    And for everyone in the U.S., have a happy and safe Memorial Day weekend. Enjoy those cookouts! I know I will.Source URL: http://idontwanttobeanythingotherthanme.blogspot.com/2010/05/on-this-day-in-history.html
    Visit i dont want tobe anything other than me for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive