Saturday, June 12, 2010

Lessons from the Back Seat

    posted by Joanie T

    What did ya’ll think I was going to be writing about?

    *wink*

    Nope, THAT topic is for another blog. This post is about enjoying the simpler things in life. Like….Cookie Monster.

    Now seriously, I don’t know that much about the characters of Sesame Street having not grown up with them but I’m a big Muppet fan and turns out…my friend’s daughter who turns 2 this week is too.

    Her upcoming party led me to the toy store today to shop for presents. I perused the hundreds of toys out there…marveled at all the ingenuity and creativeness of modern day play things. Electronic, life-like, Barbie-licious….really…can there be that many shades of pink? Toys that have to make you wonder how kids stimulate their imaginations when it’s all laid out for them.

    And then I found Cookie Monster.

    There amidst every type of conceivable Sesame Street music maker, make up kit, play cell phone and pink computer was this little guy. He looked like a simple stuffed doll but then I tilted the head back.

    “COOKIE”

    I smiled. Back and forth I flipped this toy, listening to it say in a very authentic CM voice “Ha-Ha”, “Cowabunga”, “Cookie Monster”. The more I flipped the wider I smiled until I could not help but giggle. I haven't giggled that much since my last pitcher of sangria at Olive Garden!

    This…THIS was the perfect gift!

    I kept playing with it as I went out to the car. My brother just shook his head as I laughed. And the enjoyment continued as we ran errands because every time I braked or went over railroad tracks we’d hear some comment from the back seat. “Yum, Yum” or the noise of munching cookies.

    An uncomplicated toy. But the pure enjoyment I got out of it was so refreshing especially in the hectic world we live in.

    So the lesson I learned from the back seat was to savor the simple pleasures in this life, take a minute to laugh, smile and eat a cookie.

    Have you enjoyed a simple pleasure lately? What was it? Do you have a favorite Sesame Street and/or Muppet character?

    BTW…the best phrase CM muttered from the back seat was “Hot Ta Ta”…um…maybe I COULD have written that other blog.
    Source URL: http://idontwanttobeanythingotherthanme.blogspot.com/2010/06/lessons-from-back-seat.html
    Visit i dont want tobe anything other than me for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive