Monday, September 22, 2008

2008 RAW with Lora Leigh

    by Donna MacMeans

    Huntington, West Virginia may be known as the home to Marshall's Thundering Herd, but the thundering herd this last weekend were the romance readers and writers that descended upon the Pullman Plaza hotel for 2008 Readers Appreciation Weekend, otherwise known as RAW. Lora Leigh hosted this annual event of twenty five authors and one hundred and seventy five readers.

    The event kicked off with a slumber party Friday night. We're talking sexy jammies, comfortable sweats, lots of pizza, and a DJ who kept the dancefloor rocking.

    After breakfast on Saturday, the participants had a private booksigning. I stood on my chair, a shaky proposition, to bring you this photo of the crowd. I met lots of dedicated romance readers from all over the country - Louisana, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia... even one woman who traveled from Germany with her husband just for this event.
    Here's (left to right) authors Erin McCarthy, Jules Bennett and Lucy Monroe.

    After the signing I took a short break to explore outside the hotel, and discovered the road in front of the hotel had been closed off for a chili cookoff. (You can see the roadblocks barriers in the above pic.) A fantastic band provided wonderful loud music that followed me as I shopped in some of the unique area stores. Not sure why everyone wasn't dancing around the town fountain. It was a perfect day for it.

    I headed back to the hotel for the dinner/masquerade dance Saturday night. I saw some fun, imaginative costumes -- but not on me. I just wore a mask and, of course, the hat. Author Dianne Castell, however, made a perfect Paula Deen - don't you think? Harlequin author Kay Stockham dressed in a fabulous blue feather mask.

    Lots of baskets were raffled off to enthusiastic readers for the benefit of charity. The romance bandits contributed and Amy was the lucky winner. I need to thank Julia Bennett for Amy's photo as my camera battery died - darn technology.
    Another signing for the public on Sunday and then we headed back for home. I had so much fun and met some great people. Can't wait for next year which will again be held at the Pullman Plaza in Huntington West Virginia. The event sells out quickly so if you're interested in attending, watch for details on Lora Leigh's website http://www.loraleigh.com/.

    This year, I've attended the Romantic Times convention in April, Lori Foster & Dianne Castell's reader event in June, and now RAW. Have to say - romance readers are the best. They're fun, friendly, knowledgeable and avid, avid readers.

    Have you attended a reader's event? Have you wanted to? Tell me about it. What did you like the best? If you haven't been to an event - tell me about the costume you'd have worn to the masquerade ball. I'm always looking for ideas and RT will be upon us again in April. I'm offering a Tshirt (large) and a tote bag from RAW for one lucky commentor.

    Source URL: http://idontwanttobeanythingotherthanme.blogspot.com/2008/09/2008-raw-with-lora-leigh.html
    Visit i dont want tobe anything other than me for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive