Sunday, September 28, 2008

Websites and blogs and social networks, oh my!

    by Tawny

    Do you spend a lot of time on the net? I do. Probably too much, to be honest. Unless I’m in the writing cave, the first thing I do in the morning –after getting my tea- is check my email. I get my news from the net, socialize on the net and critique via email. I’m pretty well addicted. A few years ago, my husband gave me an Axim (handheld computer) for a gift and I was thrilled!!

    Anywhere that had wireless, I could get the net and check email. Ahhhhh... But then we realized that even traveling to places that say they have wireless, it wasn’t always available. Long road trips were a little shaky, let me tell ya. Then I found the Palm – a phone with internet capability built in. Ahhhhhhh. No more net-less-ness. I’m a happy camper!!!

    So like any good little internet addict who is a promoting author, I have a website. I have a MySpace page (which my daughter and teenage nephew run for me –I’m so clueless) and someone recently told me I HAVE TO Twitter. Then there’s Facebook, Shelfari, Goodreads, etc etc etc. Social networking, ya know? (No, I don’t know. I still don’t understand it *sigh*)

    It made my addicted self go pale and grimace. What on earth does one do with all those things? I mean, I have a basic handle on the website and blogging, but the rest? It makes my head spin thinking about trying to learn how to use all those networks, and even more it makes my stomach hurt thinking of the time investment.


    So... I’m bringing the question here and figured you all could help me out by answering a few questions *g*

    Do you go to author websites – and if so, what keeps you going back?

    Obviously you check out blogs since you’re here in the Lair –but what is it about a blog that keeps you hooked?

    Social networks... Which ones and why? Do you do the social network thing? Which one/s and why that particular choice? And do you Twitter (and can you explain to me what on earth that is?)

    And last but not least... What hooks you on a site/blog/network? What makes it appealing and sticky (ie: keeps you coming back)?


    As thanks for helping me navigate these baffling questions, I’ll draw a name it win a copy of Risque Business.
    Source URL: http://idontwanttobeanythingotherthanme.blogspot.com/2008/09/websites-and-blogs-and-social-networks.html
    Visit i dont want tobe anything other than me for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive