Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Kay Stockham in the lair

    Welcome back to Kay Stockham in the lair, here to talk about her latest, Simon says Mommy. I lobbed a few questions her way, but I'm sure you'll have others.

    Tell us about your latest, is it part of a series?

    Simon Says Mommy is book four of a five book series with Harlequin Superromance. It's part of my Tulanes of Tennessee series and tells the story of eldest brother, Ethan Tulane. The gorgeous bachelor finds himself struggling to keep his head above water when he adopts a son, Simon, about the same time he lands a major promotion at work. But when Ethan hires a nanny to care for Simon, the doctor discovers exactly how complicated life can get. But Megan's appearance in town isn't as innocent as she tries to make it seem.

    What brought you to write romance?

    I can't imagine writing anything else. For as long as I can remember, my stories have always been about a boy and a girl falling for each other and all the complications that surround the process.

    What are you reading now? Favorite author influences?

    I'm reading The Time Traveler's Wife, Suddenly One Summer, Once Bitten, Twice Shy and Fire In Fiction.

    As to favorite influences... Where do I start? There are so many. I love characterization and deep, meaty, emotional stories. I want to fall in love right along with the heroine. In order to keep from missing someone, I'll just say I love/read any author who can give me those things. ;0)

    What’s your writing process?
    I don't recommend my process to anyone. Why? Because I write. Rewrite. Polish and revise. Rewrite again. Scrap about a third or half. Rewrite that... You really wanna follow my process? LOL I write a "crap draft" the first time around. Think about it, mull it over, whine to my CPs that nothing works and then dig in again. I have to get all the surface-y stuff out of the way first but eventually I get to the bones of the story.

    Hobbies? Hidden Talents?

    Lots of hobbies. I like to craft and do things like that but I'm not an expert at any of them. I LOVE to travel. Hmmm...wish I could claim your talent for ripping phone books in half, Donna, but you've never shared your secret with me.


    LOL - Believe it or not, I was teaching that technique to my nieces this weekend. Bring me a phone book and I'll show you the key. Just make sure it's not the current phone book . So what’s up next for Kay?

    Up next is the last book in the Tulanes of Tennessee series titled SHE'S THE ONE, on shelves March, 2010, and I've also been offered another four book contract with Superromance for a new series set in Montana.
    Woohoo! Congratulations! How do you chose your themes?

    Don't hate me but I can honestly say I don't choose them, they choose me. When I write I get characters first, sometimes a situation. From there I sort through worst-case scenarios etc. It isn't often that I "get" the theme until the first draft is completed. Once it's done, however, I go back through and tighten and heighten the themes to add more impact and emphasis.

    How does Superromance differ from the other lines?

    Superromance is different in that the storylines are "deeper" (that's a quote from my editor). Whatever the situation, whatever the story, whatever the conflict/problem, with Superromance you explore the issue to its deepest level.

    Any words of advice for those wanting to write for Harlequin/Superromance?

    Read the lines, write, write, write, and really get to know your characters. Good luck
    As this is the fourth Tulanes of Tennessee book, Kay has agreed to give away a copy of each of her books. That's FOUR prizes, and thus FOUR winners. Visit Kay's website at www.KayStockham.com and list the four heroines of the Tulanes of Tennessee series. Kay will pick four random winners from those with the correct answers. Good Luck!
    Source URL: http://idontwanttobeanythingotherthanme.blogspot.com/2009/09/kay-stockham-in-lair.html
    Visit i dont want tobe anything other than me for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive