Monday, December 22, 2008

The Best Part of Christmas



    by Donna MacMeans

    Do you know what the best part of Christmas is?

    PRESENTS !!!!!!!!!!!!! (and you were expecting something less materialistic?)
    Okay...while presents are awfully good, they're not the best part of Christmas. But before we get into that discussion -- I wanted to remind the five winners of Dianne Castell's book, Star Quality, to email her at DianneCastell@hotmail.com. Those winners were: Helen, Jo, Dina, Terrio, and Michele L.
    Looking back over the various December blogs, we've talked about cookies and crafts, movies and snow but we haven't mentioned one of my favorite aspects of the season.

    Lunch!

    Seriously. This is the season for friends to gather for a holiday celebration so there's lots of well-attended luncheons and parties.

    Why is that?

    Not the gathering, I mean - I'm always up for a fun gathering - but why do we do it so frequently at Christmas? I met a group of writers at a Chinese Restaurant last weekend, and am meeting a writer for lunch later today who is in-town visiting in-laws. (She's from California and in for a wintery shock when she steps outside in our chill temps). Last weekend, it was another larger group of writers and before that - the red hats. (Have to love the Red Hat groups. Their sole purpose is to party *g*). Before that it was the Investment group and the Gourmet crowd. Obviously, the extra pounds swallowing my waist aren't all from Christmas cookies!

    My husband has been going out for annual lunches with his golf buddies and with his co-workers...but have you noticed that men lunch differently than women? I mean, when he comes home, he isn't gripping a bunch of brightly colored gift bags with inexpensive ornaments or cute notepads or homemade goodies or such. When men exchange gifts - they exchange gift cards. That way gift parity is maintained and wrapping is minimal. The only variance is in the vendor. Love it!

    Maybe that's why holiday lunches are so prevalent...gifts are involved. So maybe presents are the best thing of Christmas (though I tend to think it's the friendships behind the glitsy bag with the cute notepads).

    Merry Christmas to my fellow banditas and bandita buddies! I wish we could all meet in the lair for lunch (and drinks and Sven...) Thank you all for your friendship, not only over the holiday season, but for the whole year through. Friendship is the best gift of all.

    So on this note I'd like you to tell me either your favorite gift of all or your favorite part of Christmas. I'd also like you to give me the name of someone whose friendship is a gift (first name only, please). One poster will receive the special bandita prize for the twelve days of Christmas and their friend will receive an autographed hard cover of The Trouble with Moonlight with an appropriate inscription.

    Merry Christmas All!
    Source URL: http://idontwanttobeanythingotherthanme.blogspot.com/2008/12/best-part-of-christmas.html
    Visit i dont want tobe anything other than me for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive