Saturday, December 13, 2008

Crafty Holidays

    by Tawny

    Tis the season to haul out the gluegun and glitter. Pom poms and paint. Construction paper chains and handcrafted snowflakes.

    Ahhh, its holiday crafty time! I remember in gradeschool, this was the fun time of year. Lessons were shorter so we had more time to create. I'm a big fan of creativity, so I was always excited. I remember making gifts for my parents, cards and other fun things. Did you ever do the paper bag Santa's? Cottom ball beard and a fingerpainted face. Ahhh, the memories!

    So, obviously I love to craft. I'm a huge scrapbooking fiend, and this time of year is my call to creativity. (Okay, I admit it, I hear the call all year round, but this is the time of year that I drag everyone off to listen to it with me). I nag my kids to come make decorations for the house with me. One of my favorites is a papercrafted Christmas Tree, with loops of paper and lots of pretty sparklies.

    Another thing I love making are ornaments. Michaels sells clear glass ornaments that are wonderful to fill with glitter, or to paint, or to glue bits and pieces of pretties to. Last year, we discovered the fun of making ornaments out of CDs. We always buy CDs in bulk, so we took a half dozen and glued scrapbook paper to them, added glitter (do you see a theme here?) and ribbon to hang them from the tree. I loved it! My daughter made some for her 4H group, too, using wraping paper.


    This year, we're making gifts, too. My husband cut a 4x4 into blocks for me to paint, and I've covered them with pictures and, yes, glitter. I also created calenders for all the grandparents this year using the kids pictures. One year I decorated candles, using pretty paper and ribbon... but they caught on fire (go figure) so this is my next candle-type project -something in jars that is less likely to shock the recipient with a possible bonfire.

    I have to admit, as much as I love to make crafty things, I'm not so sure people like getting them. One year I helped my brother move and was hauling out all the stuff he'd stored in his garage. I found all the crafty type gifts I'd made him still in their giftboxes. He claims he loved me enough to keep them and that should count for something. So a lot of times, if I'm not sure the person will really like the gift, I resort to turning my creative impulses into the kitchen. Almond toffee, fudge, cookies. Oh, yeah!

    So how about you? Are you a creative crafter who hauls out the glitter this time of year? Do you make your own gifts? Do you like receiving crafted gifts?

    And don't forget! Today is one of the 12 DAYS OF BANDITA CHRISTMAS! Be sure to comment to be eligible for th edrawing to win a Bandits Prize!!Source URL: http://idontwanttobeanythingotherthanme.blogspot.com/2008/12/crafty-holidays.html
    Visit i dont want tobe anything other than me for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive