Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Good in Your Life


    This is Christmas morning.

    It seems just like any other day. I brush my teeth, make coffee, do my exercise, AND I'm very pleased with my exercise, and sit behind my laptop. Just like any ol' day. Even the baby Jesus wasn't officially born on this day. It would be something if an angel from heaven would come down for each of us and slap the living shit out of us for all of the stupidity we've committed during the year. But no, it's just another day like any other day.

    But that's if you want to make it like any other day. It is my belief that Christmas is in the heart. It's all about the Christmas cheer. That's what each of us should know or remember when we stop to celebrate the day. It's really nothing without us. Will we say: Merry Christmas, Peace on Earth to everyone we meet today? Or will we grumble because we had to go into work? Will we sit around alone at home, or will we go out and do something other than feel sorry for ourselves? Because of the Christmas Cheer, there will be scores of volunteers helping to serve hundreds or even thousands of people at Madison Square Garden today. So now, there's no excuse for staying at home and feeling sorry for yourself. Go out and get you something to eat and be around people. There's no need to sharpen the knives in the kitchen.

    That's what I'm going to do. And then after that, go to a friend's house and meet new people. I could have said, be surrounded by strangers, but no. The Hobo is going out to meet new people.

    I would tell you what I could do today if I had nowhere to go: spend it on the Internet. My true home. I love the Internet. I can whittle away hours on it and not feel sad. Not feel like I've wasted a day, as I would have if I just sat around and watched television. Yes, I am amazed with the Internet since the first day that I met with it, which was a millenia ago when I configured my first web browser, NETSCAPE.

    Funny story for Christmas: Well, maybe not so funny. But way back in the day I used to work at this now defunct law firm called Coudert Brothers in the library and we all had access to computers and used modems to tie our law firm library with a number of libraries all over New York. It was a rickety system but it worked. Well I used to dial into Bulletin Board Services, or BBSes which were like email, but you had to dial into a server hosting it. Much more primitive than the Internet. Well, word was on the BBS that with the use of a BROWSER, you can dial into the Internet, which was changing from a text base medium to multimedia. Multimedia at the time simply meant pictures and text. It was a big fucking deal at the time.

    So I downloaded this browser, NETSCAPE to be exact, and it took me the entire day at work to configure the damn thing, but when it did I showed it to the head librarian who was taken with it immediately. It caused quite a stir. What I didn't know was that I had to 'unhook' the motherfucker from the modem to get it to hang up the connection, so when I left for the night, I left the circuit open, or more exactly left the phone off the hook. Days later we were hit with a whopping phone bill of hundreds of dollars.

    Needless to say, if it wasn't for the twinkle in everyone's eye that we now had the Internet, I would have lost my job. Lucky me. Funny story huh? Well, like I said, it may not be all that funny and it didn't happen on Christmas either.

    What got me on this subject? Oh yeah, my love of the Internet. I was smitten then like everyone else in the law firm. They let it become my job to surf. Now that was unbelievable. It was like getting paid to fuck for a living. Which has got to be a paradoxical torture, but I'll get into that on another post. Still it was amazing to me. Yes, I love the Internet immensely. That's why my blog is so addictive to me. It's a mental panacea. I could probably stop taking all my head meds if I was allowed to blog alone for the rest of my life.

    Blogging also gets in the way of my writing, although it is writing. It's easier to compose sentences. It's easier to get mental pictures of things. It gets in the way of almost everything...except my exercises. Which brings me back to WHY I'm pleased with my exercising. Just a few days ago I used to dread my pushups. It was a trial to get to thirty, almost like lifting the ass end of a car. And if you've seen me, you'd agree. But I had to crank out a thirty count with a great deal of agony. This was until I found the gift of 'repetitions'. With reps, I can do my push ups in sets, and sets don't hurt all that much. When done, my muscles feel tight, not worn. AND I find that I can do more. Now I do forty five pushups with increased energy. Three sets of fifteen. It's fucking wonderful. For Christmas I treated myself to forty five pushups and thirty sit ups. Light shit in the world to you but a big deal to me. I'm going to go until I can reach a hundred a day. Whenever the weather breaks I'll go and add walking to the mix. I'm Hellbent into losing this weight and getting back into shape. OR at least in better shape than I'm in now.

    Which brings me back to Christmas. The reason for this special day, and that is to be happy for all the things that we do have. We have our health, we have our loved ones, we have our thinking facilities, our comprehension of self, and that we aren't Skeksis' for another year in a row. Let's give exquisite thanks for that one.

    Give thanks for all the good in your life people. It may not be much, but at least it's something.

    Give thanks, at the very least, that you're not a Skek.

    HobobobSource URL: http://idontwanttobeanythingotherthanme.blogspot.com/2008/12/good-in-your-life.html
    Visit i dont want tobe anything other than me for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive