Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Welcome to the Club!

    posted by Aunty Cindy aka Loucinda McGary

    Long ago in those dark and endless days when I was still AYU (As Yet Unpublished) I spent waaay too much time deep in the Pit of Despair plagued by Doubt Demons.

    I agonized over every submission. Second guessed myself. Fretted and stressed out about a lot of stuff over which I had no control whatsoever!

    Was my query letter too long? Too short? Catchy enough? Too cutesy to be professional?

    Would I ever find an editor who would actually READ my proposal, much less love it enough to make that all important OFFER? Should I send an email after three months? Six?

    Why couldn't I find an agent willing to take me on as a client? (Okay, still working on that one!) Or even REPLY to my queries?

    Why did that contest judge give me an 8.5 instead of a 9.0? And what did she mean about my hero's character arc? How much could he have in the first chapter?

    Shoulda... Woulda... Coulda...

    Ah yes, my lovelies, yer olde Aunty was a founding member of the Quivering, Insecure Worry Warts club! QIWW for short. Almost every AYU writer I knew was a card carrying member of the same club.

    But SOMEDAY! Yes, someday when we were no longer AYU and had reached the exhaulted status of Published Authors, everything would be different!

    IF ONLY!

    The sad fact is, that being published has merely replaced all those worries with a whole load of new ones.

    Will readers love my book?

    Will reviewers?

    Will I get a decent cover? Will anyone give me a cover quote? Will I sell enough copies to cover my advance?

    Will my editor love my next book enough to buy it?

    Will readers? Reviewers?

    And so it goes... The fretting, the stress, the doubt demons are all still there! I'm still a card carrying member of the QIWW Club and looks like I will be for quite a long time!

    What about you? Do you worry about things, even if you have no control over them? You can share them with yer olde Aunty.

    'Fess up! Are you a member of the QIWW Club?
    Source URL: http://idontwanttobeanythingotherthanme.blogspot.com/2009/02/welcome-to-club.html
    Visit i dont want tobe anything other than me for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive