Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Vietnamese Food is Hot


    I sat in Starbucks until my brother arrived about mid morning.

    We sat and talked and killed time until it was time to go to a memorial service for one of our poet friends, Robert Dunn. Interesting thing about Robert Dunn that I learned, although he was always very nice to me, there were those in the poetry circuit that didn't 'get along with him well'. Also known as: 'just didn't like him'. And yet they appeared at his memorial and made their peace. Interesting. I can say one thing for a poet's memorial, that poets are honest with their feelings.

    I guess if you spend a lifetime writing them down on paper you'd have to be.

    My brother and I sat in on the memorial, listening to the readers. I didn't know him all that well, and so did not think it to be all that appropriate to read any of my works there. My brother OBSIDIAN didn't read either for reasons all his own. It was a lengthy service, but was made to go all the more faster by the rapidity of the readers. There was always something new and fresh from one minute to the next.

    When it was over, my brother and I, along with pattieC made our way across town, back to the Astor Place Starbucks to meet up with DJ. Now, let me give you a little background on our plan here. DJ had invited us all out to celebrate his 40th birthday with him at a Vietnamese restaurant. So we gathered together at Starbucks early and chummed around the streets, ending up in a costume superstore to laugh at all of the Halloween shit that's going to be worn this season. And they had a lot of shit there. We went in to spend a minute, and it was about a half hour later when we came out. It was daylight when we went in, and nighttime when we emerged.

    And wow, did they have a lot to shit there. I know that I'm repeating myself, but WOW did they have a lot of shit there! And of course we had to play with every single thing, from bloody axes and meat cleavers, to hats and manikins. We fucked with every little thing we could find. From there we went to the Vietnamese restaurant and cautiously ordered our dinner. I thought that I was being cautious. I ordered Sweet and Sour soup, which turned out to be hot and hot. Hot temperature-wise and hot spicy-wise. I was crying when I finished eating the soup. Then I followed that up with seafood and Saigon noodles. Again, this shit was tasty, but so fucking hot. And once more I have to bring out that it was hot-heat hot, and hot, spicy hot. So hot/hot/hot and hot, that not only was I crying, but my nose was running.

    Damn. Vietnamese food is not fucking around with anyone. If you don't know what you're doing, you'd better let DJ do the ordering for you. Don't be a dumbass.

    We finished. There was eight of us. A friendly couple that I didn't know. PattiC, DJ, my brother, myself and Adrianna. From there we all left and headed to a chocolate factory. Not exactly my favorite food. Oh yeah, I'll eat chocolate, don't get me wrong, but it's not my favorite sugar. SUGAR is my favorite sugar. I like it on anything, from doughnuts to cookies. Put it in coffee and I can drink it all night. I just don't like it in my alcohol.

    Although that's really not true. I remember that my greatest love when I was in my alcohol abusing days, was Oreo Cookies and Jack Daniels. I used to LOVE THAT SHIT. Eating Oreo cookies and washing them down with large gulps from a gallon bottle of Jack Daniels. Sugar and alcohol are intrinsically connected. Also, I surprised myself that I didn't order a drink. So I was ready to return to the Box and take whatever test that they gave me. Although I knew that the acidity of my urine might melt the little urine cup that they give you when it came time to taking a urine test. My meal was just THAT hot.

    We walked down Broadway as a group and they turned off to head to another restaurant. I, for my part, had to continue on. On to the Box, and I entered in with little to no bother. There was no one upstairs in the Dorm. Robert was the only one here, and he was out cold on his bed. I sat down, opened my laptop and began to write. I had much to do, there was a lot of work. I was overjoyed with the tasks ahead. From blogging to posting, to writing email replies. I had my hands full the minute that I got onto the Internet.

    And I cranked through everything before Midnight. I'm going to make myself stop now though. I'm going to force myself to go to sleep so that I can get up early, take a shower and get ready for work. I'm going to have a busy day because there probably might not be much to do and it's always harder to work when there is very little work than when there is much.

    Further, I think I need more sleep. I've been very tired and that's not good. I'm not getting enough quality rest. I have to work on that.

    So, I sign off this post, feeling better than I did this morning. A whole lot better.

    ...she WAS there. I just know it.

    HobobobSource URL: http://idontwanttobeanythingotherthanme.blogspot.com/2008/10/vietnamese-food-is-hot.html
    Visit i dont want tobe anything other than me for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive