Thursday, January 22, 2009

    by Donna MacMeans

    IT'S FRIDAY!!!!!

    And that means it's movie night!

    I love going to the movies - sitting in the dark with my husband - munching on popcorn - sipping on a diet coke. It's the best. I've even been known to be influenced by the big screen in devising possible plots. I imagine we'll be choosing a movie to see tonight, but I'm not sure which one.

    Of course, our dear friends in Hollywood have given us some guidance by announcing the nominees for the Best Picture of 2008. I always try to see the nominees so I can root for our favorites for the academy awards.


    The nominees for Best Motion Picture of the Year are:
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    Frost/Nixon
    Milk
    The Reader
    Slumdog Millionaire
    Have you seen any of these? I've seen Benjamin Button - and it was good. I've seen the stage production of Frost/Nixon but not the movie. And that's it. I believe Slumdog Millionaire is basically a love story with a lot of chase scenes and action. I haven't seen it listed at the major theaters here, but now that's it's nominated, perhaps that will change.

    The nominees for Performance by an actor in a leading role (can we just call them heroes?) are:

    Nope, not this guy (sniff). Australia was nominated for costume design and that was it. (Of course, if the award has anything to do with the frame upon which the costume hangs....)
    The real nominees are: Richard Jenkins in The Visitor
    Frank Langella in Frost/Nixon
    Sean Penn in Milk
    Brad Pitt in ...Benjamin Button
    Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler


    Not the most flattering picture of Brad Pitt that I've seen.


    As for the nominees for best performance in a leading role we have :

    Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married
    Angeline Jolie in Changeling
    Melissa Leo in Frozen River
    Meryl Streep in Doubt
    Kate Winslet in The Reader

    I'm afraid I haven't seen any of those movies, either. Not a one is a comedy, which is my favorite. So tell me - Do you have any recommendations for a movie tonight? Have you seen any of these - what did you think? Do you have a particular genre preference when it comes to movies (or are you in it for the popcorn)? Who do you think will take home the oscar at the Academy awards?

    I'll pick one of the comments to receive a feather boa so they can watch the awards in style. Also I'll include a copy of THE TROUBLE WITH MOONLIGHT because the blue cover goes really well with the feather boa. Besides, you never know...perhaps one day it'll be picked up for a movie. Are you listening...







    Source URL: http://idontwanttobeanythingotherthanme.blogspot.com/2009/01/by-donna-macmeans-its-friday-and-that.html
    Visit i dont want tobe anything other than me for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive