Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Romantic Hero or Sexy Dude

    by Tawny

    Or... An ode to Captain Jack.

    I love men. I mean, they really are the best game in town, right? They are definitely the reason I read, and write, romance. To me, as strong as I might empathize with the heroine, I have to be able to fall in love with the story hero to really get hooked on a book.
    But lets be clear. There are men, then there are Heroes. You know the difference, right? There are hot, sexy guys that are soooo good to look at, but really would make lousy heroes. Then there are heroes, who are, of course, definitely sexy and yummy.

    So what's the difference? I don't mean the difference between an alpha and beta hero. Or the difference between a good boy and a bad boy. They all fall in the hero list. And really, what is heroic is somewhat personal to each reader. We all have our favorite kind of hero, right? My question here is the bottom line between what makes a hero someone that, when the story is over you think will be there for the long term and that you believe is good for the heroine.




    Lets take one of my favorite characters. Captain Jack Sparrow (lets all pause to sigh in appreciation). I love this guy. He's cocky, he's strong, he's sexy as all get out. On the yum scale, he's right there at the top, lip smackingly yummy. Now, he's got a job, of sorts. He's heroic in that he does, eventually... and yes, with self-interest, the right thing. But... I don't think he'd be a great romantic hero. Why? Because I while I totally believe that Captain Jack could and does act heroically, I don't see him sticking around. His first love will always be the sea, and the freedom that implies.

    I've played with scenarios in my mind, written little mental vingettes that feature him as a romantic hero, that bring him the perfect heroine who would bring out the best in him while accepting that wilder side that makes him so incredibly sexy. But... it never jives. He has to change so much in my mind, he loses that sexy edge that appeals to me so much.

    To change that, you'd change him. And while I'm all for heroes growing and changing, to me a real hero is enhanced by his relationship, not changed into someone else (how many times have we gone into, or heard of gals going into relationships with "once I change this one little thing, he'll be perfect" in mind. Thirty years later, that one little thing is still going strong.)


    I know there are other guys with that same non-hero sexiness. What I don't know is who they are. I'd love to hear yours. And... all that said, if I had a free pass for a wild weekend with Captain Jack (pure fantasy, mind you -especially if you're reporting back to my husband *g*) I'd jump at the chance. Which leads me to my question of the day.


    Of those ever-so sexy non-heroes... who is your dream hunk? And where would you take him for a fantasy weekend? (No need to detail the itinery *g*) I'll pick one fantasy post to send a copy of Risque Business! Source URL: http://idontwanttobeanythingotherthanme.blogspot.com/2009/01/romantic-hero-or-sexy-dude.html
    Visit i dont want tobe anything other than me for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive